How I adopted a Tonberry (twice)

image1 (1)

During my trip to Tokyo the past few days, I came home with a new toy, and I don’t think I’ve ever bought something for such a specific reason, so let me tell you this story.

Many years before I came to Japan, I was jobless for quite a long time. I did lots of temporary work but had nothing settled and permanent. It was a really stressful time not knowing if I was going to have a job from one week to the next. Then finally I managed to secure a permanent job at a company I would go on to work at for over five years before finally leaving to come to Japan. You may be wondering what all of this has to do with a Tonberry, but I can reassure you it is definitely related.

I walked into the office of that new job on my first day and sat at my new desk, and for some reason sitting on the boundary wall between my desk and the one opposite was a Tonberry plush. Knowing where the character was from and thinking maybe there was a Final Fantasy fan in the area, I asked the people around me who it belonged to. Sadly, I was told it had been there for quite a while but no one knew whose it was. I felt a little bad for it having been abandoned by its original owner. So of course, I did the only thing I could and adopted the little creature into my life. I moved it onto my desk properly, and that’s where he remained. He would be there when I arrived at work and would be there until I went home. If I ever moved desks, he followed along with me. While I was working hard, he would be watching over me like a mascot.

About three years after I started working at the company, our office moved to another location. On our last day in the old office we cleared our desks at the end of the day and went home, to start working at the new office the next day. I had a ride home with my coworker and at some point during the ride the Tonberry dropped out of my bag onto the car floor without me noticing. From that day my coworker was to give me a ride to work every day and when I got in her car the next morning, he had moved from the floor and was sitting proudly on her dashboard. That’s where he stayed. He would be waiting for me in the morning when I got into her car and would be waiting for me at the end of the day when we left. Instead of watching over me while I was working, he would be loyally waiting for me to start and finish.

Then one day, my coworker announced she was leaving the company. I lost my daily ride to work, and unfortunately, the Tonberry went with her. I regretted for a long time forgetting to take him from her car on that last day. He’d been with me for about five years and I still have no idea what happened to him. I like to think he’s still out there somewhere, but who knows.

Now, about 7 years later, I was browsing Animate and sitting on one of the shelves was a Tonberry plush. I hadn’t thought about my old friend for quite a while, but suddenly it came back to me. I kept looking at him sitting there, and instantly reached out and grabbed him. Even though I couldn’t get the old one back, I decided that the only thing I could do was adopt this new one. I hope he watches over me as loyally as the previous one did.

So that’s the story of how I adopted a Tonberry (twice).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s